Today marks our new President’s second week on the job. Hope is rising across American and abroad. Do you feel empowered?
Barack Obama encourages each of us have a role in changing America. I am going to take President Obama up on this invitation. My focus is health care issues. I commit to empowering Americans about healthcare issues, one person at a time.
Who am I? Dr. Summer Knight. I come from a poor neighborhood in Illinois. I found my passion for medicine working as a volunteer firefighter/ paramedic. I decided to become doctor and started practice in 1997. Practicing in family medicine, Urgent Care, and Emergency settings, I treated everyone (both rich and poor). In practice, I saw we all face the same issues and challenges. In 2003 I decided to move from direct patient care (where I could only help a limited number of people at a time) to create new businesses that would support thousands of people, allowing them to stay in their homes and live with dignity. My passion: to deliver information about complex health care issues in a way everyone can understand.
As I read President Obama’s Public Liaison Policy http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/opl/ was thrilled at his invitation to “…bring new voices to the table, build relationships with constituents and seek(s) to embody the essence of the President's movement for change through the meaningful engagement of citizens and their elected officials…”
I consider this a personal invitation to have a discussion with Mr. Obama and his team about health care issues, and I encourage each of you to join in the conversation. In order to do this, we need to understand the major health care issues facing our country today. Let’s do this together. You do not know all the answers; neither do I. As a family doctor, I often needed to reach out to specialists for help with complex issues. I know how to bring people together in a team to address medical challenges. And, I know how to break through all the jargon to get to the “straight answer.”
My mission is to break out information in a way so each one of us can make decisions, find our voice, and share our opinions on health care with our national leaders. Working together, we are going to change health care one person at a time.
Get Smart about Health Care, America!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this is a fantastic idea...as you get started and gain some momentum give me a call if you're looking for additional supporters.
ReplyDelete- LQ
LQ, Thank you for your support. As you develop issues and concerns on health care issues, please let us know so we can all do a bit of research and gain a better understanding together. Best Regards, Dr. Knight
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about how you got to where you are today and where you want to take this blog. I am looking forward to more!
ReplyDeleteHelp us create a National Dialogue on Health Care Issues. Our hope is that everyone will feel Empowered to enter the dialogue whether it is policy on Capital Hill to personal health care issues.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your report on swine flu. I felt it was the facts, not exagerated blown out of proportion as so many things are. But it was clear as to the seriousness of the situation at the same time. How does the disease spread? Through the air, through bodily fluids,...?
ReplyDelete