Tuesday, May 5, 2009

H1N1 Flu Update
May 5, 2009

As of this morning, 21 countries have officially reported 1124 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection (aka Swine Flu). Among the hundreds of confirmed cases as of 06:00 GMT, 26 individuals have died, 26 in Mexico and 2 in Texas. There are confirmed cases in 40 states within the US.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) mapping of countries reporting infections (http://whoterrance.vo.msecnd.net/mediacentre/swine_flu/GlobalSubnationalMaster_20090505_0800.jpg ), this is a multi-continent pandemic staged at phase 5 – 6. Phases 5 – 6 indicate the “pandemic phase of an influenza outbreak which indicates the need for response. Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus within a WHO region while phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized as the spread of the virus outside of WHO regions. With the current multi-continental spread of H1N1, we are in a pandemic scenario with H1N1.

Officials are closely watching the effect the five-day moratorium on work and school in Mexico has on the spread of the virus. Questions emerge on whether five days is enough time to let the virus die out or go dormant, and whether the moratorium, estimated at a cost to Mexico of $150 million per day will be effective.

Influenza H1N1 cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. People with this strain may also have vomiting and diarrhea. Like seasonal flu, H1N1 in humans varies in severity from mild to severe. Severe disease with pneumonia, respiratory failure and even death is possible with H1N1 flu infection. Sometimes bacterial infections may occur at the same time as or after infection with influenza viruses and lead to pneumonias, ear infections, sinus infections or blood infections.

So, what can you do today to help protect yourself and your family? Wash your hands, cover your mouth when coughing, wash your hands some more! In addition:

  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol based hand cleansers are also effective. This lessens the spread of disease.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth to avoid spreading germs.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Reduce unnecessary social contacts and crowded settings when possible

People with respiratory illness or fever should stay home from work or school to avoid spreading infections, including influenza, to others in the community. If you think you have the flu, please call your health care provider and discuss whether you need to be seen in their office or an emergency department, or stay home. Oftentimes, if you have mild to moderate symptoms, the best choice for yourself and your community is to stay home. Persons with influenza A (H1N1) virus infection should be considered potentially contagious for up to 7 days following the onset of the illness. Persons who continue to be ill longer than 7 days after illness onset should be considered potentially contagious until symptoms have resolved, and should not return to work until one to two days after the symptoms end.

As with all influenza viruses, treatment for H1N1 virus will generally be focused on symptoms such as fever, cough, and nausea. There are also antiviral medications available by prescription. If you get sick, antiviral drugs may make your illness milder and may make you feel better. They may also prevent serious influenza complications. The effective use of these agents is within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms – the sooner, the better chance of symptom worsening. These medications are often reserved for those individuals that are more likely to progress into secondary infections with a greater chance of worsening condition.

H1N1 flu is not transmitted by food and you cannot get it from eating pork products.

7 comments:

  1. WASH YOUR HANDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Summer,

    Well, your info seems pretty concise. I have a tendancy to get pneumonia from a bad flu, so I don't want to get swine flu now or ever. But, maybe it would be better to get it now, before I get really old and it gets stronger.

    Anyway, I keep my trusty bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket. DON'T forget to wipe down the handle and surounding area of the shopping cart with a sanitizing wipe!!!

    For about 2 years I've done this on a regular basis and I've had 1 slight cold. Go shopping early in the morning or late at night to avoid crowds.

    If your job requires you to handle a lot of cash, god help you! Keep your hands away from your face and off of anything you put in your mouth until you've washed them. I got very sick too many times when we had the auto shop; then it occurred to me why.

    I think Mexico is making a big mistake with the 5 day program. Seeing as how the flu can take 7 to 14 days to incubate, what makes them think 5 days will stop the spread???

    A lot of people went there for spring break and Easter, no wonder it's spreading around the world.

    Take care!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information Summer. You made it simple and accessible. Why is this flu so deadly?

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a very disproportionate response to the problem. There was initial confusion about the data from Mexico, which resulted in a high death rate being reported, which was wildly inaccurate. Subsequent information shows a very mild flu, with only normal contagiousness, and death rate. So the WHO, CDC, US government, etc are responding with a multi-billion dollar program? Whatever happened to good judgment? The infectious disease establishment is eagerly promoting this over reaction for its own funding purposes. The same thing happened in 1976, for those of us old enough to remember. More deaths from the vaccination program than from the swine flu.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Summer,

    I found your atrticle extreamly interesting. It's a little scary to hear that there's a confirmed case at the world bank across from where my husband works.......and there's also a confirmed case nearby at a school where my mother-in-law teaches. It's more scary that we have kids and they are exposed to germs everyday all day. Also being pregnant I'm limited to what I can take. So I'm washing my hands 100 times a day and staying far away from any one who so much as sniffles. Hope you are doing well. Life is good here.

    -Marici

    ReplyDelete
  6. To answer a question above, this version of influenza is not necessarily so deadly. In actuality for most healthy people, it has mild symptoms. Most influenza viruses are iterations of a past flu season that mutates, or changes slightly to be able to cause infection and symptoms. Therefore, many humans have some level of immunity or recognition of the virus either from previous exposure via natural transmission or immunization. Because this virus originated in swine, humans have not had the ability to build up a “resistance pool”. Thus, health officials had high levels of concern of what symptoms would arise, the level of severity, and how quickly it would spread due to the relative lack of immunity in humans.

    As many have commented: wash your hands, wash your hands.

    Yours in Health, Dr. Summer Knight, MBA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Summer,

    Thanks for all of your important information. It helps reading about this from a reliable source. Having allergies and asthma, I have to be extra careful to try to keep from catching cold and flu viruses. I often rubbed my itchy eyes and nose, and was catching colds quite often. A bad cold would sometimes aggravate my asthma, which sometimes led to bronchitis, which can be pretty scary. I wash my hands often-especially under my finger nails, but I know germs are still around. Now I don't get sick as often once I started making a conscious effort to use the back of my hand or my shirt sleeve to rub my itchy eyes or nose. Or keep my hands off my face altogether. I'm glad I'm not a nail biter. I bet I would be sick more often.

    ReplyDelete